Life of Ralph

This will give you a glimpse into my life, the rise and fall, the trial and tribulations and the ongoing challenges that I face on a daily basis. I write, I drink, I read, I watch movies, I travel (when i can afford it) and chicks just don't get me.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Desert Rose

Shortly after 9/11 I was sent to Egypt for a military training exercise but at that point anything was possible, Egypt is definitely a lot closer to the hot spot of the world than Camp Pendleton. While there I would spend majority of my 12 hour guard shift by myself thinking about everything and everyone. I would imagine scenarios of me back home shooting the shit on the block, rocking out on stage with a guitar, anything to keep me from sleeping since I was on the graveyard shift (I preferred it, it wasn't as hot).  

Towards the end of my shift I would have the pleasure of seeing the sunrise in Egypt, and I have to tell you I have yet to see a sunrise that matches theirs!   The land of Moses, the Nile and countless years of ancient history. Every morning I would hear the call to prayer (Fajr) and then shortly thereafter the most exquisite sunrise I had ever seen.  It was a moment where I would not know whether the sun was going up or going down, sort of like purgatory.  I am not a religious person, but those were the moments I felt most at peace with myself and the world.  Odd how I was in a place a hopscotch away from one of the most conflict ridden areas in the world and yet I felt peace like I have never felt or felt since.   (pic below, not mine although I wish I had taken one)

After getting to my hootch, thats what Marines call sleeping quarters, I would pop in my Enya disc and would play the song below, since I was in Africa why not continually hear "Storms of Africa'.


One song I wish I had during my trip to Egypt was Desert Rose by Sting, I think it would have been perfect, since I do consider Egypt my Desert Rose.

No comments: